• California driver given chance at IndyCar series after drugs test • A urine sample given failed test, but he was not banned
The driver Kyle Larson has said he is thankful for a second chance after claiming a promotion for the IndyCar series.
At a news conference on Thursday morning Larson admitted he had suffered a “really crappy week” following reports on Friday that his urine sample taken at the IndyCar’s race in Alabama last month did not match the sample submitted.
Team principals initially feared team principal Chip Ganassi may fire him from the second-place Honda team following the news.
However, the 23-year-old was reunited with Haas F1 in Melbourne following a drugs test in the United States which revealed an unspecified positive finding. The American was then offered an extra year with the team but could not commit because he had no control over the situation, because the panel overseeing the test was not informed.
He said: “I’m glad we don’t have to do it.”